HERE’S THE TRUTH: WE DON’T HAVE TO FEEL GUILTY ALL THE TIME. There is a light beyond the “guilt clouds”. There is hope and peace.
Here is the end to the “I am a terrible mother for leaving my girls for 5 nights” story I wrote about in a previous post. As I entertained my guilt ridden thoughts in the airport, I saw sun through the clouds.
I realized I could force my thoughts in a different direction. Instead I could choose joy and peace. I could be thankful. This was a revelation.
A smile came to my face as I pictured my girls at “Nana camp”. I thought about all the treats my mom had planned. About the “schedule of activities” on the books. About the privilege to even be able to go on vacation.
I took a deep breath in. Then out. A weight was lifted. And I was grateful.
This heart of gratitude lead me to pray. I prayed for wisdom and joy for my mom. I prayed for obedience and joy for my girls. I prayed that I would resist the lies of Satan and hold to the Truth. Jesus.
This was a vacation like no other. Free from kids. Free from bondage. Free from guilt. I lived it up! And you can too.
7 Ways to overcome guilt with God’s truth:
- I look to God for my self worth not others. 1 Thes. 2:4b “We are not trying to please men but God, who tests our hearts.”
- I don’t have to fear. Romans 8:15 “For you did not receive a spirit that makes you a slave again to fear, but you received the Spirit of sonship. And by him we cry, “Abba, Father”.
- I can be content in every situation. Phil 4:12-13 “I know what it is to be in need and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. I can do everything through Him who gives me strength.”
- Failure is an opportunity to embrace the grace and forgiveness of God. Romans 8:1 “Therefore, there is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus.”
- I can be thankful and pray in all circumstances. 1 Thes 5:16 “Be joyful always, pray continually, give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus.”
- I am beautiful. I am exactly who God created me to be. Ps 139:13-14a “For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother’s womb. I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made.”
- I can choose what I think about. Phil 4:8 “Finally brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable-if anything is excellent or praiseworthy think about such things.”
What truth in scripture helps you fight Satan’s lies?
© 2012 Standing on Peace