TOP 10 LIST OF THINGS THAT GIVE ME GUILT:
- Going the extra, extra mile kids birthday party pictures on Facebook (see picture)
- Eating a cheeseburger and fries
- Going away for awhile and having to leave the girls
- The Pottery Barn magazine
- The Victoria Secret model commercials on TV
- A friend’s vacation pictures
- My 4th cup of coffee in the morning
- Turning on a TV show for my kids to watch
- Missing my quiet time with the Lord
- We have pizza for dinner
- A dirty floor, dishes, and toilet
- Working women
- Marathon runners
- Friend’s that do craft projects
- Failure in one of my roles as mother, wife, friend, sister, daughter, or child of God
- My daughter throwing a tantrum in public
- My dead plants
- Organic food
- Seeing children in activites/sports my child is not signed up for
- The ultra organized in photos, house, job
Well, woops. Thought it would be a list of my top 10. Guess I doubled that. Couldn’t restrain myself.
All of the above say to me “You are not good enough.” “You should be ashamed of yourself.”
We all have are own list of people or things that cause us to feel inadequate. The individual or situation may trigger the guilty feelings. But they are not to blame. We decide how we will respond to those feelings.
Our self worth is shot when we go against the cultural norms. Our world thrives on making us feel that we NEED to look and act a certain way. That we NEED to have specific things. And when we don’t. Guilt.
THE STEPS THAT LEAD ME TO A DAY OF “GUILT CLOUDS”:
- Condemning thoughts enter my mind triggered by my own insecurity
- I entertain them-don’t put them out of my mind
- I compare myself with others
- I look to others opinions rather than God’s opinion
- I believe Satan’s lies
- I doubt my self-worth
- I become self-focused rather than others focused
- I open the flood gates and accept more lies from Satan
- I become overcome with guilt
- I live out my thoughts through my actions: I become crippled to live in freedom and joy for the day
Well that is depressing. But my reality. How quickly the “guilt cloud” covers me.
Just like the Oregon clouds leave us hoping for clearer days, guilt leaves us discontent. We are not satisfied with how God made us. With what God has given. Guilt brings out the worst in us.
It all comes down to this:
When I am faced with the temptation to embrace the guilty feelings, will I:
A. Listen to the Spirit’s truth
B. Listen to Satan’s lies
- A VERSE TO PONDER: Gal. 1:10 “Am I now trying to win the approval of men or of God? Or am I trying to please men? If I were still trying to please men, I would not be a servant of Christ.”
Do you relate with any of my “Top 10 list of things that bring me guilt”? If so, I would love to hear…misery loves company!
© 2012 Standing on Peace