Hey my friends,
To be completely cliche, but know I am genuine-hope you had a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year! I am slowly getting back into the new groove. Making some needed changes-for example, GOING. TO. WORKOUT. I know this is not a new discipline to strive for in January, but once again, seriously genuine about getting my body a movin! I wonder as you look over your 2016, what stands out to you as some old and “not so lifegiving areas” which were not workin for ya. And then as you are “out with the old”, what new spiritual, personal health and wholeness, or areas as a mother/wife/friend/worker you can discipline yourself to in 2017? Now is your time to shine. His mercies are new every morning and there is hope. for. you. today.
So 2 options to consider for this January 2017-get in God’s Word more and get your body moving more. If these 2 are resonating with your Spirit but you wonder, but how. can. I. fit. this. in my already busy, I’ve got your back my sister’s!
Check out this free 6 week women’s video devotional series, starting Monday, January 30th–WOW Hour: Where Waking Up Early Is Lifegiving! Start out 2017 with a new lifegiving habit; 6 weeks of inspiring stories to encourage and hold you and/or you and a group of friend’s accountable to be in God’s Word and exercise! Prioritize your wholeness and health as this program will bring you peace for your mind, body and Spirit- you’ve got a couple weeks to get a friend or two to join you on this journey. Praying for you. to. rock. this. I will be joining you so you will not be alone!!
And below here are some of my favorite bible study methods and workouts which you can incorporate with WOW Hour or just do on your own! Just so you know….i am praying. for. you. So get goin’ with Jesus in 2017, you. will. not. regret. it. Look out for the life of enjoyment and purpose you’ve got in store with a Father who we get ALL good gifts from!
I came that they may have and enjoy life, and have it in abundance [to the full, till it … I have come in order that you might have life—life in all its fullness. John 10:10
4 OPTIONAL BIBLE STUDY METHODS
- Dear Father, Dear Daughter Method – This journaling method is how I structured my book, “Sing Over Me: A Women’s Devotional through the Psalms.” It is us, His daughter’s, writing to our heavenly Father, and then listening to hear what He says through His Word and Spirit to apply to our lives.
- Pray, read (in God’s Word), then write to God. Then see if there is anything troubling your heart or mind. Write about this to God. As you write, be transparent. Ask God questions about the specific situation. Always end with what you need from God in this particular situation and the truths you know about Him and His Word.
- Be still and ask God to speak. Then write down His promises- “Speak Lord, for your servant is listening” 1 Sam 3:10b Make sure you are away from distractions and loud sounds in order to quiet your heart and mind before God. Listen until you have wisdom, an impression, a picture, a verse, or overall peace about what you just wrote to God. Write down any scripture and/or impressions you receive during this time of listening. Do not be discouraged if you do not seem to hear anything, God loves to spend time with us in the stillness and He refreshes our heart, mind and Spirit when we are obedient to spend time with Him-even if we aren’t aware of it. Write down promises and encouragement you found from God’s true, living Word. Continue to sit in silence and practice the discipline of waiting to hear from the Lord. Persevere in this discipline of listening to God. I know I find it extremely difficult in our busy culture to drown out the noise of my own mind, but even more reason for us do as God tells us, “Be still and know that I am God” ps 46:10.
- Free Flowing Method –
- Pray for God to speak to you as you read a passage from His living Word (Heb 4:12).
- Get on your computer or grab a notebook and pen and write what comes to mind! The key is not what we write about, but that what we say is honest and from the heart. God desires to meet us right where we are, not where we feel we should be or want to be. He wants true intimacy with us. Just like there is no right or wrong way to talk with God, there is also no right or wrong way to write to Him. We can simply tell Him what is on our heart. If we are concerned about a particular relationship, we should write about it. If we need to ask Him for forgiveness, we can write down our apology. If we are excited about an answered prayer, we can express our gratitude. If a particular scripture is resonating with us, we can expand on it and dig deeper in order to apply it to our current situation. God has made us all unique, so use your own creativity and style as you write to Him!
- A.C.T Method – Some of us need a structured format or plan when starting a new habit. I am similar. I thrive under others’ good ideas for how to do things! First pray for God to speak to you and read from God’s Word, then:
- Ask- Write down your prayer requests, God says “Come to me all you who are weary and I will give you rest” (Mt 11:28).
- Confess-Your sin, repent and turn to God for His refreshment and peace (Acts 3:19).
- Thanksgiving-To God for specific ways He has blessed you, for what He has done for you, or simply for His character traits; write down your gratitude for our Father who is the giver of ALL good gifts in this life and the eternal life to come (James 1:17) .
- S.O.A.P Method – S.O.A.P stands for Scripture, Observation, Application and Prayer. Each S.O.A.P. entry can be one sentence, or it could be pages and pages of thoughtful note taking. Each day will be different as you move through digging deeper into God’s Word.
- Scripture-After reading a chapter(s) from the Bible, write down the verse(s) which “the Spirit highlighted”/resonated/you had a pull to read over again
- Observation-Write down what you observed or what truth stuck out to you in these scriptures.
- Application- Think on how you can apply the verse(s) to your day, week, life, etc. and write about this.
- Pray-Write out a prayer to God based on how your mind/heart was renewed to God’s ways instead of your prior ways of thinking/acting and ask Him to help you apply this truth in your life.
30 MINUTE WORKOUT OPTIONS:
- Sign up for and train for a race (running or walking): If you are signing up for a 5K,8K,10K, or half marathon race the Hal Higdon training plans were what I used and found helpful in my training: http://www.halhigdon.com/training/51137/Marathon-Novice-1-Training-Program
- Do a workout DVD with the exercise of your choice-pilates, step, yoga, dance, boxing, Zumba, ect.
- Do a YouTube workout with your favorite trainer
- Walk the hills in a nearby neighborhood
- Do a Daily Burn or some other Workout program App on the computer/Ipad/phone
- Do a workout class at the gym
- Swim laps at a local swimming pool
- Go on a bike ride (on a stationary bike or outdoors)
- Lift weights combined with a step machine, tredmill or sedimentary workout machine at gym or home
- Dance in your living room to your favorite 7 songs
© 2012 Standing on Peace