“You need something to claim to fight off the lies and fears. You need a verse to claim.”
This is what my mom told me as I reached out to her this past week for some advice and comfort amidst change.
Through my past couple of posts, I’ve shared with you how I’ve had to refuse to believe the devil’s lies about myself. How I’ve been struggling with fear, faith and food. I’ve alluded to some transitions and changes facing our family.
What my mom said sunk deep into my soul.
It’s absolutely necessary to reject the devil’s attack and recognize when fear is taking control. To say out loud, “he has no power over me in Jesus Christ”.
But I also have to be armed and prepared to replace these lies with truth.
I’ve spent some time identifying my most prominent lies and fears. I’ve found verses I can practice claiming whenever these thoughts creep into my mind.
I found as I listed everything I am struggling with, many of them are deeply rooted in the belief I’m not good enough.
If you made a similar list, what would your main root be in your life?
What I’m Practicing to Claim:
- You’re a bad mom because you feel weak, lose your patience and don’t want to be with your kids sometimes. A verse to claim: “He tends his flock like a shepherd: he gathers the lambs in his arms and carries them close to his heart; he gently leads those that have young.” Isaiah 40:11
- You can’t do this healing diet thing. You’ve always failed in regard to food before. A verse to claim: “For we do not have a high priest who is unable to empathize with our weaknesses, but we have one who has been tempted in every way, just as we are – yet he did not sin.” Hebrews 4:15
- What if we never belong to any church community? What if we’re the outsiders? A verse to claim: “So, my brothers and sisters, you also died to the law through the body of Christ, that you might belong to another, to him who was raised from the dead, in order that we might bear fruit for God.” Romans 7:4
- What if the decisions you make for your family and kids end up in complete failure? A verse to claim: “For I know the plans I have for you,’ declares the Lord, ‘plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call on me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek for me with all your heart.” Jeremiah 29:11-13
- What if you’re too weak and insecure to aspire to anything God has called you to or put on your heart? A verse to claim: “But he said to me, ‘My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ’s power may rest on me. That is why, for Christ’s sake, I delight in weaknesses, in insults, in hardships, in persecutions, in difficulties. For when I am weak, then I am strong.” 2 Corinthians 12:9-10
What lies and fears would be on your list today? Are you believing you don’t belong, you’re not good enough or that God doesn’t care about you? Are you living in a place of fear about your circumstances, status, career, family, body or health?
Spend some time finding your own verses to claim – to replace the lies and fears with truth. “But the Lord is faithful, and he will strengthen and protect you from the evil one.” 2 Thessalonians 3:3
© 2012 Standing on Peace